Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Small, But Important Thanksgiving


For the first year in many years, we decided to forgo travel and family for a simply stay-at-home celebration. We typically love turkey and all the fixing's, but this year - because it is just the three of us and mom - we decided to just enjoy the time together and not worry about turkey and everything else. Then on Monday I went to my child's preschool where the teacher read a book about turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes. As we left the school yard, my two-year-old sang, "turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes, turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes" and I knew we could not rob him of an amazing tradition. Last night, I hit the grocery store to buy everything I needed. The store was crowded, the turkeys were few, there was pushing and long lines, but something about the entire experience brought back memories of all my past Thanksgivings and gave me a lot of unexpected joy. I am grateful to my son for reminding me how important traditions are and grateful that we're carving out time today to celebrate the most meaningful holiday and tradition of the year - even if it is just a few of us.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment